Monday, May 7, 2012

Blackened Chicken with Cilantro Lime Quinoa with a cool Avocado-Yogurt Sauce



Pinterest Recipe - Mini Blog

So i was super excited to try this recipe i saw pinned on my new obsession Pinterest!   To start with I was allured to the the Avocado Yogurt sauce! i love using Avocados and I always have a few containers of Greek yogurt in my fridge so that seemed like a natural fit  in our repertoire of recipes. I did make a couple of modifications though. I switched the chicken with turkey breast just because it was what i found in the grocery store that looked good and cost less and then i made a vegetarian version for my daughter who has decided that meat is the enemy.  All in all it was an easy recipe that came together quickly and used lots of the pantry items i have in my house at all times.  i did accidentely  make the Quinoa wrong cause i was trying to double the recipe to accommodate my large family but i doubled the water and not the quinoa so after a half hour wondering why it wasn't cooking properly i felt foolish and dumped it out and started all over!!! 

Vegetarian Version
Easiest Sauce Ever!!
For the vegetarian version i took out some chick peas that were waiting to be used up in my fridge and warmed them up in the same spices that the turkey had cooked in and just like that i was done. This recipe is great for beginners cause it is straight forward and fast.  Unfortunately, i did not enjoy the Quinoa. I can't pinpoint what i didn't like about it except it had a strange flavor. I don't know if the lime and cilantro (two things i enjoy all the time) that made the quinoa have an odd taste or if the zest of the lime was maybe covered in a strange spray ( i did wash it first), but something was off.  The rest of the meal was delicious!The yogurt sauce was the quickest, easiest recipe ever and was literally avocado and yogurt! It was creamy and super tasty and i think the meal would be sorely lacking without it!! In fact i had a left over turkey and Avocado sauce sandwich the next day and it was still fantastic!!!









To try this recipe yourself go to http://www.sarcasticcooking.com/2012/03/15/blackened-chicken-and-cilantro-lime-quinoa/   Then let me know if you liked the recipe and if you had the same problem with the Quinoa that i had. If yours turned out then i will have to try it again and see if it was a faulty ingredient on my part!! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment